Struggling to keep the water in your Intex non-permanent above ground swimming pool crystal clear? You are not alone.
The small filter pump included with the original purchase does not seem to be doing much. The cartridge filter needs replacement every two weeks. Phew! What to do? We suggest getting an Intex Krystal Clear sand filter pump.
A sand filter cleans the pool water better and faster than a cartridge filter system. It also needs less maintenance. The sand grains in the filter will last for multiple seasons before needing replacement. You can pair it up with an Intex saltwater system for even better results.
Our review of the Intex Krystal Clear sand filter pump looks at its features, pump flow rates, precautions, sand filter and control valve settings before ending with a short conclusion.
- 1 What is an Intex Krystal Clear sand filter pump?
- 2 What are its most important features?
- 3 What precautions should you consider before installation?
- 4 Why are sand filters better than cartridge filters?
- 5 What type of sand is used for the filter?
- 6 How much sand do you need to fill up the filter?
- 7 How often do you clean the sand filter?
- 8 What settings are available on the control valve?
- 9 Can you use this sand filter pump for chlorinated pool water?
- 10 Can this Intex pump be connected to an Intex saltwater system?
- 11 Which sand filter pump is recommended for what Intex pool size?
- 12 Conclusion
- 13 Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Video
- 14 Related Post
What is an Intex Krystal Clear sand filter pump?
It is a water filtration system for temporary above ground Intex pools that pumps the dirty pool water through a sand filter. The dirt and debris are trapped by the sand media and clean water is returned to the pool.
What are its most important features?
- 110-120 Volt AC power.
- 24-hour timer.
- Control valve with 6 functions.
- Sand filter (sand grains not included).
- Unit is provided with a ground-fault circuit interrupter (GFCI).
There are usually three item model numbers and sizes available: 1200 GPH (28643EG), 2100 GPH (28645EG) and 3000 GPH (28651EG). The pump sizes might differ from year to year for some reason we cannot fathom. You may buy these pumps online from Amazon.com.
What precautions should you consider before installation?
You need to install the Intex Krystal Clear sand filter pump on a solid, level surface. The pump needs protection from rain, moisture and very cold temperatures. The pump motor is air cooled and it requires ventilation to keep itself from overheating.
This sand filter pump can only be used with non-permanent above ground pools. Do not attempt to use it with pools that are permanently installed, it won’t work!
Why are sand filters better than cartridge filters?
Cartridge filters require replacement every few weeks. Sand filters can function for much longer, between 2 and 5 years, before the old sand is replaced by new sand. Replacement depends on how much dirt and organic matter are collected by the above ground swimming pool.
What type of sand is used for the filter?
Number 20 grade silica sand is used. Its grain size ranges between 0.018 to 0.033 inches (0.45 to 0.85 mm). Use sand grains with a uniformity coefficient of less than 1.75.
Glass media is less commonly used, but it might last up to 8 years before replacement. The best size range for glass particles is between 0.4 to 0.8 mm.
You probably know this, but do not put play area sand in the filter. Please use the recommended type of pool filter sand.
How much sand do you need to fill up the filter?
You need to buy the no. 20 silica sand media separately and then fill the sand filter yourself. Here are a few numbers mentioned by Intex sand filter pump owners:
- 1200 and 2100 GPH sand filter: buying one bag of 50 lbs pool filter sand is probably sufficient.
- 3000 GPH: you might need about 125 lbs.
How often do you clean the sand filter?
The sand filter is cleaned by selecting the backwash valve position. This reverses the water flow which now flows through the sand filter and out of the drain outlet. This reversed water flow cleans the sand filter. Use the rinse valve position to level the sand after backwashing it.
What settings are available on the control valve?
The control valve has 6 settings for managing the water flow and cleaning routines:
- Filter: pool water flows through the sand filter and back into the pool.
- Backwash: used for cleaning the sand filter.
- Rinse: after backwashing, use this setting to rinse the sand grains.
- Waste/Drain: either decrease the water level of the pool or drain the pool.
- Recirculate: circulates pool water without sending it through the sand filter.
- Closed: closes all water flow, never select it while the pump is running.
Can you use this sand filter pump for chlorinated pool water?
Yes, you can use this sand filter pump if you add chlorine or other chemicals to the water.
Can this Intex pump be connected to an Intex saltwater system?
Yes, it can be used with an Intex saltwater system. The connection hoses will probably be the same size.
Which sand filter pump is recommended for what Intex pool size?
The 1200 GPH pump flow rate is enough for Intex pools smaller than 16 feet. It would have to run too many hours each day to clean the water of larger Intex pools.
The sand filter pumps with a flow rate greater than 2000 gallons per hour is strong enough for Intex pools that are 16 feet or bigger. Of course, the greater the pump flow rate the faster it will circulate the pool water.
This Intex Krystal Clear sand filter pump is made for people who own Intex pools. You might adapt it for use with other pool brands, but certain adapters or extra hoses might be needed to make it work.
Regular maintenance is limited to backwashing and rinsing the sand filter by using the 6-way control valve. The sand grains will last for up to 5 years depending on how much dirt it has to filter out.
|If you are still struggling with the constant cleaning and replacing of cartridge filters, then consider getting an Intex Krystal Clear sand filter pump. The sand filter cleans the pool water many times better than a cartridge filter. It saves you money and frustration in the long term. You may check its price at Amazon.com.|
Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Video
You might also be interested in the Intex 28001E automatic pool cleaner. It is the only pool cleaner for soft-sided Intex above ground pools that we would recommend. You may read our review of this Intex pool cleaner here.