The Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40 is an affordable robotic pool cleaner made for cleaning above ground pools of various shapes and various pool surfaces.
The Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40 does not need a booster pump or the pool pump to function because it has its own internal pump motor and filter bags. There are no feed hoses to worry about.
This Aquabot robotic pool cleaner has its own power supply that plugs into a GFCI outlet. The GFCI outlet (ground-fault circuit interrupter) might prevent someone from getting a shock if the cable is ever damaged. The floating power cable is 40 feet long and can be untangled with the E-Z swivel attachment.
This above ground pool robot cleans the floor and part of the walls, but it does not clean the waterline of the swimming pool. It mixes the water in the swimming pool at a rate of 80 gallons per minute to make it cleaner and clearer. Daily maintenance is limited to cleaning the filter bags.
Our Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40 review looks at its features and answers a few questions about its performance. We list a few advantages and disadvantages. We then conclude with our thoughts on this Aquabot cleaning robot. Is it the best pool robot or does it botch the pool cleaning job?
Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40: List of Features
- 1-year warranty.
- 40-foot floating power cable with E-Z swivel for untangling the cable.
- Catches the dirt in two filter bags of 2-micron fineness.
- Cleans the swimming pool floor and the lower part of the walls.
- Consumes about 150 watts of power.
- Electrical input for Aquabot power supply: 120-volt AC, 60 hertz, GFCI outlet.
- Its wheels do not damage the pool surface.
- Only works with a curved transition from pool floor to pool wall.
- Suitable for fiberglass, concrete, gunite, tile and vinyl pool surfaces.
- Supported above ground pool shapes: kidney, lap, L-shape, oval, rectangle and round.
- The model number is now AJET121i.
- Two timer settings: 1 hour shut-off (small pool) or 2-hour shut-off (larger pool).
- Water mixing capability of 80 gallons per minute.
Can it be used for inground pools?
Well, it is primarily made for above ground pools, but it might also clean a smaller inground pool. If you look at a large image of the Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40, then you might see the words “Above/InGround” printed on its side beneath the “Pool Rover” name. Nevertheless, it does not have the ability to clean large inground pools.
Does it need the pool pump system to work?
No, the Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40 is a self-contained robotic pool cleaner that vacuums and filters independently from the pool pump and pool filter. It has its own internal motor pump as well as its own filter bags.
Its power supply unit is plugged into a GFCI power outlet with a 120VAC/60Hz electrical current. Insert the floating cable plug into the power supply and it is ready to start.
Can it remove algae growing on the floor of the pool?
The Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40 can vacuum up algae, but you probably need to treat the pool with chemicals for killing the algae first. When the algae are dead, you can put the robotic pool cleaner to work. It will not remove all the algae, but very few pool cleaners are able to perform that miracle.
Does it have any problems?
A few Aquabot S2-40 owners have reported that the pool cleaner stopped working while the pool size selection lights kept flashing. This happened after a few months for some people while others reported this after a year or two. There seems to be some undiagnosed problem with either the power supply or the pump motor.
All we can deduce from these reports is that the S2-40 is not as reliable as we wish it to be. Aquabot states that the newer S2-40i model has a “new and easy to use power supply”, so the problem might be solved. We do not know.
Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40 vs S2-50
The biggest differences between these two robotic pool cleaners are the colors, brushes and price tag. The S2-40 is blue and does not have any brushes.
The S2-50 is yellow and has fixed brushes which stir up dirt and muck. It is probably not as effective as a brush-roller system, but it might be better than no brushes at all. The S2-50 is also more expensive: its list price is about $50 more (view today’s online prices). However, it has a 50-foot cable with E-Z swivel for larger above ground pools.
Interestingly, the S2-40 is stated to be for above ground pools while the S2-50 is stated to be for both above ground and small inground pools. However, both these pool robots have the words “Above/InGround” printed below the “Pool Rover” name tag on their bodies.
Advantages of the Pool Rover S2-40
- Affordable robotic cleaner that cleans almost as well as more expensive units.
- No hoses or fittings: Aquabot S2-40 has its own pump and filter bags.
- Powerful action that vacuums dirt and leaves out of the pool.
Disadvantages of the Pool Rover S2-40
- Filter bags collect a lot of dirt and needs rinsing after every cleaning cycle.
- It does not clean the waterline of the swimming pool.
- It does not climb and clean pool walls that join the floor at sharp right angles.
- No brushes for scrubbing the pool surface.
- Plastic adjusting pins might break after regular use.
- Unknown problem that causes power supply and pool cleaner to stop working.
Conclusion: Aquabot or Aquabotched?
The Pool Rover S2-40 basically does what it was built to do: clean an above ground pool (or small inground pool) on its own so you do not have to do it by hand. Put it in the pool, turn it on, leave it alone to clean and it will shut itself off. When you come back, take it out, clean the filter bags and store it away for next time. It cleans your pool and saves you time and money.
The only serious concern is with the unidentified problem that might cause the power supply to shut off. You might be stuck with a pool cleaner robot that is dead in the water. Getting the problem fixed is also a bit of a problem.
|The Aquabot Pool Rover S2-40 is neither a perfect pool cleaner nor a complete dud. It is easier to use than pressure-side or suction-side pool cleaners and its price tag is in the same affordable price range (view offers at Amazon.com).|